Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Valcent and Algae Oil



.




Valcent on Algal Oil


It has been pointed out to me that Valcent published a Press Release on March 13th last outlining some production estimates etc. - with the implication that I didn't bother to look it up or read it.

Frankly - I find the "Business Speak and "Legalese" that most of these type of publicity blurbs are published in - to be beyond my linguistic skills. I simply am unable to decode the language properly.

Here is a quote from the press release that caught my eye:

"The research and development team of Valcent Products Inc. has now completed twelve months of the algae vertical bioreactor development program. During a 90-day continual production test, algae was being harvested at an average of one gram (dry weight) per liter. This equates to algae bio mass production of 276 tons of algae per acre per year. Achieving the same biomass production rate with an algal species having 50% lipids (oil) content would therefore deliver approximately 33,000 gallons of algae oil per acre per year."

Now is that saying that they actually bottled 33,000 divided by 4 = 8,250 gallons of oil for each and every acre for the 90 day run?? I think not!!! But I could be wrong!

To be totally clear on the wording used I think you might have to ask a judge or a barrister to decode the language.

Wouldn't it be a great world if everyone would simply use straight talk - and call a spade a spade.



.

2 comments:

Donncha said...

I think they're saying that *if* they had an algae that was made up of 50% oil growing in that test they would produce the equivalent of 33,000 gallons of oil per acre per year.

It remains to be seen whether such an algae will grow in those conditions and as quickly ..

Donncha

Whipy said...

You can listen to their explanation at

http://www.valcent.net/i/misc/Vertigro/index.htmlhttp://www.valcent.net/i/misc/Vertigro/index.html

Let's hope it works....